"I've always called myself 'the little fat bloke'. Today I call myself 'lucky'.
Why? Because I'm alive.
"

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Section 4 - Part 2 - Moosomin to Medicine Hat

Mileage leaving Moosomin 35,920 miles, mileage arriving Medicine Hat 36,363, total driven 443 miles

A long and, at times slow, drive; battling a head wind brought the top speed down to 40 mph. we were told by different people on the route how to deal with the boredom 'Look at the clouds' and Imagine when 'Indians used to run around here'. Lloyd and Martin started to keep a mental log of the dead animals on the side of the road.

The day started with meeting Chris, a cyclist riding to Vancouver. A lot of trains pulling the largest number of carriages I have ever seen; it takes two or three engines to pull them.

As we have now crossed 2 time zones and June 6th is my birthday. When we got here last night it was my birthday in the UK +7 hours from here. I'm looking forward to Calgary and some mountainous landscape. A few days rest in Calgary then I'll be joined by Ann, Wendy, Rob, Jeffrey, Paul and and Herman the German.

TECHIE SPOT - I think while Martin, my designated technician, is here I will need to have a techie spot in order to catalogue all his technological shortcomings. Everyday there seems to be another thing that he can't operate. So far these include a camera, wing mirrors on the hire car, under seat heating, (in fact, anything that is attached to the car), coffee machines in hotel bedrooms, air conditioning in hotel bedrooms.

We met up with some girls last night who where travelling north and after some cash. It seemed that if they did not get a lift they where going to jump a train. So it still goes on.

Chris on his 4,000 mile trip

Having a light lunch

Heading north


The way you spend your birthday in Canada


Just the start

1 comment:

  1. Zsa-Zsa and Joseph FarsangJune 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

    "On the Road Again" don't you just love Willie? Tell me, do you have radio in that odd looking something you call car at all that you could listen canadian stations? And please, don't even think of speeding. It's not cheap if you get caught doing that in Canada. Good morning and a Happy Birthday, Colin. Glad to read you haven't lost your sense of british humour. How is your health holding up on this very long journey? It would be a test of strength and will for anyone to take on such a challenge. I bet you were glad to meet up with someone in Winnipeg we all love. Hello son, I have news for you. Yesterday we were in the gym and my baby, sorry just a slip of the tongue, my baby's baby, Sia had a one-hander on the high bar, for a whole five seconds. She even said it would be ten by the time Daddyo is back. I wrote a comment yesterday and then lost it. Darn these computers. At any rate we are very happy for you and can't wait to see you and Ann again in Whistler, although you might not want to rush as there was a trace of fresh snow on Sprout on Saturday morning and it was cold. I am sure it eventually will warm up. Happy birthday again and a happy and safe journey for the rest of the trip, Joseph. Hello Colin, just wanted wish you a Very Happy Birthday - we won't talk in numbers, right? You have a good one, may you enjoy many many happy and healthy years with your english and canadian families together. I think, you got the wrong country for birthdays; in Canada we celebrate birthdays with a nice healthy brunch - Lloyd made an excellent one for my recent birthday - eggbeni and the whole nine yards. Let me tell you, it was very nyami, and or with a lovely dinner and of course a big cake - only l candle now - and some nice Tokaji desert vine -chilling as I write these notes to you - Yeah, in Canada, we enjoy celebrating just about anything but especially birthdays that brings the whole family together - well, at least in this part of the world. So, let out your belt and head for Whistler. Take care of yourself and our son, Lloyd for the rest of the trip and enjoy your ride in that beautiful 2CV. Can't wait to see it and sit in it. Love Zsa-Zsa

    ReplyDelete