"I've always called myself 'the little fat bloke'. Today I call myself 'lucky'.
Why? Because I'm alive.
"

Monday, June 7, 2010

Section 4 - Part 3 - Medicine Hat to Calgary

Mileage leaving Medicine Hat 36,363 miles, mileage arriving Calgary 36,559, total driven 196 miles

Left the 2CV at Calgary airport and we have driven up to Banff in the support car about one hour on from Calgary. What a birthday! It started off in Medicine Hat aiming to get to Calgary early afternoon. No hang over from my UK birthday party in Medicinie Hat so I am up for the drive to Calgary just to see some hills at least. Before I left I had a few birthday cards some physical, others by electronic. One I was told to look at on my birthday was on:

Happy Birthday, Colin! on Vimeo.

Have a look at it, it was a bit tearful for me.

We got to Calgary and there are the mountains; after leaving Winnipeg it was just flat lands but now this. I am going to drive my 2CV over these hills, no problem. My best move for the next few days is to stay in the mountains. Nenna found us a cabin in Banff. Parked the car at the airport for a well earned rest ready for the Vancouver bit on Saturday. My birthday meal was great as we have a kitchen in this cabin. Martin and Lloyd cooked us a bbq outside. Today will be a rest day getting ready for the wave of people come over later in the week. Lloyd wanted me to go for a walk today. He has not lived with me a lot in recent years so he has not got to know me when it comes to walking but I might do some thing like that.

We went to a WalMart just out side Calgary and parked the 2CV; the interest from people was amazing. I met a guy for Bedford and we talked as though we were there.

One thing we have noticed on the drive from Winnipeg to Calgary the fuel stations are owned and run by South Korean people (that's something for your pub quiz) and also the further west you go towards Calgary the happier people are. Not sure if it works like that in Lincoln.

TECHIE SPOT: Martin has been working out how to get the video on his camera onto a computer, so far failure!


Wine named after me

Friendly folk on the flat bit

2 comments:

  1. Zsa-Zsa and Joseph FarsangJune 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM

    Hello boys. Glad you finally saw something you like about Canada and I don't mean the vino. Don't forget to take the gondola ride, see Johnston Canyon and sit in the hot spring. It helps you to..........well, relax while in Banff. Take care and enjoy, Zsa-Zsa and Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Dear
    Very nice and marvelous post about all impressive............
    Kids Birthday Party Calgary

    ReplyDelete